“If I Leave The Door Open Again, I Beg You Don’t Break Me”

No comments
“If I Leave The Door Open Again, I Beg You Don’t Break Me”
By: Patrice Lavandero



“Sin with me,” and I felt the adrenaline rush inside me and it made me see something I’ve never seen before. I saw ‘us’ like this big, open book showing me the possibilities of our relationship. I was nervous to surge the waves of uncertainty and brave the storms of his imperfections but what can I do? I love this guy. You made me feel different. You made me different. You made me discover who I am. Although, this was a big step to go against my own oath and my parents’ to never get into relationships before I graduate. The promises we’ve sung to each other that the wait will be worth it as long as in the end, we’ll be with one another. We’ll wake up held captive in each other’s arms. Someday, but not now; you told me we could wait.


“Promise me. Promise me no secrets no matter how heartbreaking or life-turning it is. No secrets.” That was something we’ve established since the very start. And you gave me your word. We unsheathed the insecurities, the secrets, the fears that we’ve had. I’d always tell you I’m afraid of how foreign it feels and I was entering a territory I’ve never entered but you said, “Don’t worry. I have you. I got you. I need you, and I love you.”  


We were best friends but we were also lovers. I called you my faggot, you called me your nerd. I will call you my weirdo, and you’ll tell me to take it back. I told you whenever I was crying and you told me it’s okay to cry once in a while; you weren’t someone who stopped me from what I’m feeling. There was no acting, just the real person that we are. We stripped ourselves from our facades and set foot on our firsts. You hated academics but you didn’t mind if I were to recite the law for you. I asked you to be my partner in crime, and you obliged. And we’d crack a smile. Our relationship was funny; it was weird. But weird is what we both love. It made us distinct. It made us ‘us.’


You knocked on my door and for the first time, I decided to leave it open. I did not let you in for you to break me. I thought I was making the right choices; it turns out that it was still wrong.


I remember those nights when you would also whisper into my ears, “we are unstoppable.”  Although, now I’ve realized that everything will cease in the end. Something would stop us from being unstoppable. The upbringing of a human being can be taken away as easy as their last sigh. It is so easy to halt something with a flick of the finger; it is so mechanical.


I can’t believe those dazzling blue eyes that turns silver when the sunlight strikes it would look into mine and tell me those sweet lies. I can’t believe I bound your name with the love songs I listen to every night and I’m just left with the scars and the remnants of what used to be ‘us.’


No matter how beautiful our relationship started off, I could see where it got us. It was you who lured me in with your sugar-glazed words. I am in love with words but I always forget that words can kill me as much as it can rise me from the ashes; it’s such a beautiful silent killer.


I have come to a conclusion that it might be because I am so incapable of being loved. Probably because of how I lack so much as a person. Probably because I’m just so repulsive that even the people I love leave. That’s the only thing that I could come up with. Don’t worry about it.


My door will always be open for you. If you really see nothing in me anymore, you can leave. Dear, do not expect that there will never be any waterworks as you leave my door as I stare at your back and as you walk away. Until you turn into a tiny figure that would soon fade from the distance between us. I will be biting back the tears but to no avail because it’s always like this. I always put you first. You. It’s always you.


In the end, you’re someone who led me to my death. I started dying when you told me those three simple words. I started dying when you never looked back after that. You took time to kill me; slow and smooth. Painful but sweet. A sinister remark. In the end, you made me believe in mythical creatures; In the end, you will still be my siren and I wouldn’t hesitate to take you back again. Say your goodbyes. I’ll say mine later.

No comments :

Post a Comment