PATventure Presents: Disguised Gems

1 comment
To get a real taste of what adventure is like, you need to start with the place where you live in. 
As someone who lives in The Philippines, I have never thought that I would discover something so phenomenal in my own motherland that I believe my fellow citizens should have the same experience that I had!

It was supposed to be an ordinary day wherein I would spend my time bonding with my father along with my sister. With the usual malling habit that we always had, I never knew that my father had something else in mind. 

As someone who loves reading books - and who's gaga over the scent of it , my father decided to bring us to a house in Balagtas, Makati. But here's the thing: They are all for free! Eager to know what it is all about, my sibling and I made a quick research about it while our father was away. That was when we discovered that we're going to visit a community club called "Reading Club 2000."


When we arrived, it looks more of a library than a house, and quite frankly, the definition of "home" because who doesn't want a library of their own? The books were displayed in front of the house and we decided to take a look at them and realized that there were more books inside. Not only were we engrossed with the sight of thousands of books, the owner was very hospitable on our arrival. As we were searching for a book to read, he suddenly said, "Halika muna kayo. May ik-kwento ako sa inyo. Mamaya na kayo tumingin ng libro (Come here for awhile. I have a story for you. Just look for a book later). "

He told us that since he was still living his childhood years, he would always give out his books to his neighbors. Unfortunately, his parents does not approve these acts of his which brought him to stop handing his books out, abiding the rule "honor your father and your mother." His parents retired and spent their golden years in a different country.

"Nakita ko nalang silang nasa kahon na (Then I just saw them inside a box),"  he said as he gestured a small box that signifies that his parents were cremated. He searched for a way to show his appreciation of his parents and that was when he established his own library.

"My quota is to give 1500 books per week," he said.

What caught me the most was his dedication in giving away the books to those who needs or wants it. He believes that once you give something positive to someone, the positivity will bounce back to you. Moreover, he wants to give everyone happiness and gratitude on what they are bound to find.  He was also very generous to tell us to bring the carton full of hardbound books home! Not only did we went out of their house with books at hand, but also the knowledge that he had shared with us.

It was a great of a place that we've decided to visit it once a month. We're inspired to donate our books to him as we know someone's hands would find it useful than being left to crumble in our shelves.

List of Books That I've Received:
"Lateral Thinking for Management" by Edward de Bono
"An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green
"Para Kay B" by Ricky Lee
 "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk and E.B. White


Had I known about his advocacy sooner, I would willingly talk about it while I was competing in a public speaking competition with the piece "A Little Piece of Everything" because he is the best definition for "no one becomes poor in giving."




On a side note, since the day, July 26, 2015, that I went to his place, I told my friends about my experience and on July 29,2015, they , too, went to Balagtas, Makati. They also want to go back to Reading Club 2000! So I dare you to go there too! You won't regret it.

Kudos to you, Sir Nanie Guanlao!




If you've already had your experience, why not share it with us? 

1 comment :