A Review : "tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom

No comments





"tuesdays with Morrie"
by Mitch Albom

There are those books that you never thought would change your view in life. This is one of those. 'Tuesdays with Morrie' teaches us lessons that we never gave any thought about. We took our lives for granted.

“Everyone knows they re going to die,' he said again, 'but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently.” 

The author, Mitch Albom, shares his experience with his teacher, Morrie Schwartz, in College. After College, Mitch Albom was too busy about his career while Morrie was suffering from a disease called Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or ALS. Despite the fact that Morrie was a dying man, he greeted death with a warm welcome.
Until one day, while Mitch was flipping through the channels, there was one show that caught his eye. He saw his favorite professor on a famous TV show with Ted Koppel, and was entitled 'Morrie: Lessons On Living'. After the show, Morrie became a worldwide sensation. He has inspired lots of people globally.
Mitch plans to visit and reconnect with Morrie and their relationship were strengthened once again. Morrie taught Mitch life lessons. It's just simply amazing that all that wisdom came from one, old, dying man.




"We're Tuesday people." 

Mitch would always visit Morrie on Tuesdays -I mean that is why it is called Tuesdays With Morrie, right? - to listen for his inspirational life lessons.


Anyways, I read the book from cover to cover and it really felt like you were actually in the book! It's like Morrie and I were actually communicating with each other. I was saddened by the fact that I met Morrie as a dying person. I conversed with him as I flip through the pages. I would talk with him in school, at home, and in my dreams. And everything that he taught me was just stuck inside my head!
There is one thing that Morrie and I had in common. I don't want to be attached to people and that is what I believe since I was little. I was afraid that my emotions would take over me and that was the time that I realized that I shouldn't think this way instead, I should cherish the moments that I would and could have spent with that person. Life is too short to hide from your own stupid belief. Love or perish. 

As I finished the book, I knew that I was too attached to Morrie by then and some of you might think that that might be impossible because "Who would get very attached to someone that you haven't met?" As I reached the end of the book, I literally bawled my eyes out because from the first page, you would envision Morrie as, yes, someone who's dying but still strong enough to talk and later on, he gradually becomes weaker and weaker until the moment that his eyes are closed forever. But then, we just have to accept everything and as our good friend Morrie said, “Don't cling to things because everything is impermanent.” but also, “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” 

Yes, Death is a very cruel thing but never be afraid to face this painful truth. We will someday pass this thing we call Death and as a child, I was scared. But after I read this book I realized that Death won't take everything away from you, especially the memories. The feelings that you felt with that person still remains. The person might not be physically present, but I assure you. Their memory lives on.

This is such a spectacular read and I strongly encourage everyone to read it.  It really changed my view of the world and it is very inspiring that it brought the blues out of my eyes. I mean, I just can't take the book out of my hands! 



Because of this, I'll give this book a 5 out of 5.



The author, Mitch Albom, with his favorite professor, Morrie Schwartz.

No comments :

Post a Comment