A Review: "this star won't go out" by Esther Grace Earl

No comments
f



Esther Grace Earl was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at the young age of 12; This was a very rare disease for children. She first heard of the news a few days before Thanksgiving 2006 and the news, Esther believed, has changed her life drastically. She makes videos through Youtube, loves to write on journals, and aspires to be a writer.

The book shows messages from her loved ones, her journal entries, and from the blog of the Earls. The parts were categorized with a designated page color; green, white, and red, respectfully.
Esther Earl was a ball of sunshine- energetic, optimistic, bubbly- as people could see, but deep inside, were the fear of the possible future caused by cancer; death.With the knowledge that she only has a short life to live, Esther Grace wishes to do something for the people around her. She wanted to at least be useful despite her health conditions. To at least save some people before her time runs out.

Through her words, Esther has saved a lot of people and strengthened bonds especially in a group called Catitude. She made people realize how important and loved they are thus, dragging them out of their despondency. She has proved that, truly, love has no boundaries, might it be someone across the world or someone who isn't physically-present. She also helped a charity organization named Harry Potter Alliance win a competition to reduce "worldsuck" and help more people through Esther's close friend, and favorite author, John Green.


Esther died peacefully at the age of 16, on August 25,2010.


Esther Grace Earl has touched a lot of people through her words, her compassion, her understanding.








A Review by Patrice Lavandero


Upon reading this book, I have shed a lot of tears because this sweet, young child has fallen victim to cancer. I cried as I  read the book for it touched and changed me. We all know how common cancer is, especially today. And still, no cure but only delaying the growth.The book shows how Esther dealt with cancer, and yes, it's very heartbreaking. But we can never question the events happening around us. No one knows the answer, that's why. Everything is a mystery.


I have started my 2015 by reading this book. I realized what and how cancer affects one's life and through Esther, what it feels when you have it inside your system.

Imagine. Everyday you just have to endure the pain you feel, let medications do their work, regular visits to the doctors, the stress, your emotions all jumbled up, and the expressions of the people you pass by everywhere you go (since she wears a cannula).

I can't say much more but Star- Esther- had done a great job on touching people's hearts. I never knew that reading this book for one day would lead me to feel so close to her. 


It must have been hard for her but she still decided to live. She decided to live than give up and that's one reason that I adore her.


I find the writing a bit off since it was childish but what can I do? It's someone's journal and they have the freedom to write whatever they want! At least give them that so I truly understand it. You can ignore this since this is very minor.


I recommend this book to everyone- for someone who really needs encouragement, or to someone to at least feel 'human'!  I don't regret reading the book because like Esther, I love to write on journals. (I currently have 15 of them). I also want to be a writer and, watch Youtubers (Mostly gamers, like Pewdiepie).





For this, I will give this book a 5 out of 5.





Rest In Awesome, Esther Grace Earl!







At a side note, it is incredible that only few authors has the privilege to use lowercase titles for a book but look what Esther had achieved!



I really wish I don't offend anyone because of this review. If I did, please contact me and we'll see what I can do.

No comments :

Post a Comment